One essential on the How to Stay Happily Married List is regular date nights. It is extremely important to have alone time with your significant other and not just alone time on the couch watching your favorite TV shows. There is something about getting out of the house and doing something different from your everyday life that reconnects you as a couple. Obviously you and your mate already have some ideas about things you like to do together, but these are some of my favorite dates to share with my hubby:
1. Disneyland. Obviously this is not practical for everyone, depending on where you are located, but it is one of my favorite places in the whole world, and has hence become one of our favorite date locations (okay, maybe mine more so than the hubs). Check out this blog post I wrote for my home/lifestyle blog about the ways to have fun at Disneyland as an adult with no kids for some ideas. If Disneyland is a no go for you, any amusement park in your area would work just as well.
2. Sporting Events. We are big sports fans in my house, so we love going to baseball, football, and hockey games together whenever we can. If we can't get tickets to the games themselves, we enjoy going to some of our favorite sports bars together to cheer on our teams.
3. Arts Performances. Given my background in theater and my husband's in music, we like going to arts events together whenever we can. Whether that is seeing a play or catching a concert, all arts events tend to be great date nights. Plus, they come along with the bonus of having to dress up a little, which always adds a little extra romance to a typical date night.
4. Brunch. Okay, so it's not technically a date "night", but we love walking to some of the bakeries/restaurants near us for brunch. Getting out of the house for a stroll and a yummy breakfast can have the same awesome effect as a good date night, plus the bonus of starting off your day on a great note.
5. Dinner and a movie. This one is popular because it works. You can't go wrong with a great meal and catching a flick. If there is nothing else going on in town or you don't feel like being especially creative, dinner and a movie still makes an excellent date night for any couple.